Today on the show we’re doing something a little different. Many of you have indicated that a Q&A format would be really great, and I’ve teamed up with the lovely Ashleigh VanHouten who will be directing a diverse range of questions at me – and while we agree on a lot of stuff, we also bump heads about certain things!
We discuss the need for a platform where men and women’s fitness and health needs can be talked about together, because for the most part, they are exactly the same. We talk about everything from posting butt pics on Instagram and seeking external validation to self-love and operating from a less selfish, more centered place.
Ashley also enquires about my view on both mind and body training, creating healthy habits, the circumstances under which we can most optimally learn new skills and finding the balance between being obsessed with something and being a well-adjusted person. In some shape or form, all these aspects tie into the relationship we have with ourselves and we talk about how we can become more authentic and honest people to ultimately build the most fulfilling life.
We wrap up our conversation with some insight into my morning and exercise routine, what supplements I take and what I do to change things up. Be sure to join us for all of this and more!
- Why the Muscle Intelligence Podcast is about much more than building muscle. [4:18]
- Bridging the gender gap in the industry and looking at commonalities. [6:38]
- Positive reinforcement and how some people use Instagram to build their brand. [8:58]
- Loving yourself and being able to give of yourself selflessly. [10:46]
- The need to have both the physique and the drive to be successful. [13:53]
- Every moment as an opportunity to reinforce a bad habit or create a better one. [16:09]
- Why you can’t separate the work you do on your body and your mind. [19:50]
- Receptiveness and something being important as key factors that determine learning. [22:39]
- Why stress per se is not bad, but rather your response to and perception of it. [25:41]
- The rule about being the average of the five people you surround yourself with. [29:10]
- The depression that often follows reaching a physical goal. [34:43]
- Is it possible to be a competitive bodybuilder and be a well-adjusted person? [35:29]
- How we can begin to be authentic and honest with ourselves. [39:19]
- Ben’s meditation practice and the importance of cultivating consistency in it. [43:31]
- Why walking movement-based meditation is not going to get you the same results. [50:51]
- Ben’s everyday morning routine, including the supplements he takes. [56:21]
- How long he spends in the gym and what he does to combat boredom. [01:03:39]
- And much more!