For today’s show, we are joined by Mark Lambert, who is Head of Performance at Tampa Bay Lightning! He is here to talk about his unique and intricate approach to coaching professional athletes and how the dynamics of the work and the players influence his approach. We discuss the correct treatment of each individual player, how to negotiate a grueling schedule of games and travel and where Mark chooses to lay his focus through the off-season. Our guest gives us a great insight into what it takes to run a high-level sports team and how he has learned to manage the difficulties over the years. We talk about the importance of nutrition, sleep and post-game practices with Mark believing these to be the foundation of success.
Don’t forget to check out our great show sponsors, Four Sigmatic for the best mushrooms in the world! Strains of mushrooms that have been healing humans for millennia, readily available for you to order! Use the code ‘muscle’ on foursigmatic.com for a wonderful 15% discount! Join us today for all of this and more!
- Mark’s attitude to working with new clients and different relationships. [4:08]
- Body fat and composition: goal setting and what Mark aims for with athletes. [8:20]
- The array of personnel that Mark keeps on his performance team. [10:15]
- Post-game recovery and gaining buy-in with a new group of players. [13:12]
- Mark’s list of priorities for the athletes and why nutrition and sleep are at the top. [17:30]
- How Mark approaches players who might be struggling with an aspect of their game. [19:21]
- Ways to run training sessions and communication with players at different levels. [22:43]
- Spiking the nervous system and strictly training the body and mind through breathing. [29:59]
- The metrics that Mark views as the most important to measure. [35:50]
- Injury prevention and the pervasiveness of certain damages in hockey. [39:30]
- Dressing room dynamics and the way players relate to each other. [42:30]
- The evolution of player attributes, size, and style. [45:02]
- The sleep schedule for traveling athletes and optimizing this difficulty. [48:16]
- And much more!
Related Links/Products Mentioned