NEW! Want the full transcripts for the episode?
Get the full transcript when you subscribe to the newsletter!
This podcast is brought to you by BiOptimizers our digestion expert sponsors upgrade your digestion for optimal recovery and better nutrient uptake with MassZymes. Get 23-45% off plus an additional 10% off and 1 free bottle of HCL Breakthrough when you checkout the MassZymes here.
This podcast is brought to you by Gasp! Top notch quality training wear, Muscle Expert approved training gear!
Love the podcast? Leave a review in iTunes!
Who would you like Ben to interview? Tell us here!
The leading authority when it comes to the Ketogenic Diet, the man who’s been carving the path and leading the research on ketones for about 10 year comes on the podcast today!
Dr. Dom D’Agostino, associate professor at the University of South Florida in the department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology and a senior research scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition joins Ben to cover the Ketogenic Diet in depth.
- Is the Ketogenic diet the most optimal diet on the planet for longevity?
- How to optimize the diet for building muscle.
- Esters V Salts? What’s the difference?
- What to look for in a ketone supplement. Dr. Dom’s expert advice.
- 2:30 How Ben met Dr Dom. 4 plate bent rows while fasting.
- 3:45 Performance declines and the ketogenic diet. Key adjustments for improving recovery and performance with high intensity training.
- 6:15 How long it really takes to get the real benefits of the Ketogenic diet. It’s longer than you think.
- 7:30 The kind of person who can really benefit from a Ketogenic diet.
- 11:00 Intermittent Ketosis – Dr. Dom’s exact protocol.
- 14:30 Improving Mitochondrial function with fasting and cutting the time to get into ketosis.
- 20:30 Suppressing oxidative stress by beta hydroxybutyrate, gene expression and more.
- 25:17 Influencing the body to use fat for fuel instead of muscle. Expert tips and supplements for making the switch efficiently.
- 30:00 Taurine for enhancing the production of ketones?
- 32:50 LDL with Ketogenic dieting and other biomarkers. Fats to potentially avoid for long term health.
- 35:30 Kidney stones and how to avoid them while doing Keto.
- 36:20 Fibrous carbs, should you supplement or get them naturally sourced?
- 41:20 How much fat per meal? Key guidelines for breaking a fast.
- 43:35 The one food Ben can’t bring himself to eat! #ttfubc
- 50:10 How to confirm your even in ketosis for .25 before using blood tests.
- 52:19 Esters V Salts? What’s the difference?
- 55:20 Ketone salts, Ketoforce and KetoBlitz. New keto products on the market.
- 58:55 What to look for in a ketone supplement. Dr. Dom’s advice.
- 1:01:04 Laser like focus with fasting and certain ketone supplements.
- 1:04 00 Are you less likely to use your own fat if you’re using a ketone supplement?
- 1:06:00 Too much ketones in the blood causing an insulin spike? And George Cahill’s 40 day fasting experiment.
- 1:08:20 Your brain’s ability to be metabolically flexible.
- 1:11:50 How to ketogenic diet actually enhances brain function. The nitty gritty details.
- 1:19:40 Poor sleep, serotonin and hypoglycemia.
- 1:20:38 The tool Dr. Dom and Ben use to measure deep sleep, REM and light sleep.
- 1:23:20 Telomeres, less sleep and Ketogenic dieting? Is there a reason for concern?
- 1:25:00 How to measure your telomeres for cheap.
- George Cahill
- Osiris Green Inc
- ALA: Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Wild Planet Wild Sardines
- Acetyl L-Carnitine
- Bulletproof – Brain Octane Oil
Follow Dr. Dom D Agostino: